Adam Wilson is the creator of Calmer Con. An event he developed to help kids with sensory needs experience the thrill of a comic book convention, without the overwhelm. Adam’s son is on the spectrum, so at it’s core, Calmer Con is a mission of love for him. And Calmer Con's first convention was great. I know, becasue I was there!
(And yes, I realize this show is supposed to be about ADHD, but I tend to think of autism as sort of a cousin to ADHD, and many of the challenges are similar. Not to mention, Adam’s story is so good that I just had to have him on.)
In this episode we’ll look at the struggles of parents who’s kids can be overwhelmed by sensory input, discuss the importance of acceptance, and maybe, just maybe, find the inspiration to do something big!
9thAnnual Online ADHD Awareness Expo Plug:
The 9thAnnual Online ADHD Awareness Expo will take place throughout the month of October. And I’ll be a part of it. My topic is 3 Ways to Communicate with Your ADHD Child Besides Talking.
Register at https://www.adhdexpo.com/adhdessentialsto let them know I sent you.
In Today’s Episode We Discuss:
- Adam’s goals for Calmer Con
- How Adam created Calmer Con
- Connecting to a child with autism
- Sensory challenges and the movies
- The value of talking to experts
- Why paraprofessional educators / teacher aides are amazing!
- The Overstimulation/Anxiety Spiral
- Different types of meltdowns
- The Tale of Logan and the Ocelot
- Sacrificing things you love to make something more important
- How Adam workshopped elements of the convention
- Star Wars Skill Drills you can do at home!
- Evolving Calmer Con to better serve parents
- The importance of opportunities for social interaction
- The power of acceptance
ADHD Essentials Links:
- Learn about & Register for The ADHD Essentials Online Parent Coaching Groups
- ADHD Essentials Homepage
- Contact Brendan at brendan@ADHDessentials.com
- Join Our Facebook Community