Today, we’re talking to Melissa Carriveau. She's a Master’s Level Certified Special Education Teacher with almost 25 years of experience. She has been an doing special education consulting for nearly 20 years with both school districts and individual families. She was trained through the Federation of Children with Special Needs and through Wrightslaw. She is also a special education surrogate parent and the parent of a child with special needs.
In Today’s Episode We Discuss:
- What is a Special Education Advocate?
- What should we look for in an advocate?
- How best to communicate with schools
- Assuming everyone is there for the right reasons.
- How to navigate IEP & 504 Meetings
- The importance of documentation
- Keeping communication child centered
- You’re a good parent. Schools aren’t judging you.
- Mourning the kid you didn’t have.
- Why you shouldn’t sign anything at a team meeting
- Team meetings are a negotiation
- Getting your kid’s year started on the right foot with meetings & letters
- Supports vs. Accommodations in school
- 504s vs. IEPs
- Typical ADHD Accommodations
- How to find an advocate
- What an advocate needs from you
- The importance od paperwork & documentation
Links and Such:
Find Melissa on Facebook at www.facebook.com/BayStateAdvocacy
Or email her at BayStateAdvocacy@gmail.com
Email Brendan at brendan@ADHDessentials.com