Free to Choose Your Own Path: ADHD, Counseling, and Dungeons & Dragons with Matt Fahy, LMHC, and Heroic Group Counselor
Today, we’re talking to Matt Fahy, LMHC. Matt is a licensed mental health counselor based in Florida. He began his quest to better understand the human condition as an Anthropologist, spending a number of years exploring and working on archeological sites. Eight years ago, he shifted his focus to mental health counseling. And now, he has married the two and uses his Anthropology knowledge and counseling skills to run therapeutic games of Dungeons and Dragons for his clients.
In today’s episode, we talk about what Dungeons and Dragons is, how Matt uses it as a therapeutic tool to help the kids he works with develop social skills, problem-solving skills, and greater insight into themselves, the roots of this approach in classic psychological approaches, and Matt shares with us the tale of the clients in one of his groups helped Boogers the Goblin learn coping strategies to better manage his anxiety.
- Learn more about Matt Fahy and his work at https://mattfahy.com.
- Learn more about Dungeons & Dragons at https://dnd.wizards.com.
- Check out my friend Ryan's gaming newsletter, Burn the Tavern Down.
ADHD Essentials Links:
- Learn about & Register for the next round of The ADHD Essentials Online Parent Coaching Groups
- Check out the ADHD Essentials Homepage
- Contact Brendan at brendan@ADHDessentials.com
- Join Our Facebook Community